Wirawan Batik handwritten batik are drawn by our craftsmen's hands with a canting, outlining the pattern on fabrics with wax. When the fabric was dyed, the pattern is resisted by the wax.
Here are the steps of Javanese Batik tulis technique to create our own unique batik style in motifs and colours!
1. Batik artists will choose the fabric to make a high-quality product, usually a piece of batik is 2-2,5 m x 1,15 m.
2. Next, use a pencil to draw the pattern on the surface. It takes time to bring a motive for that vast area especially if making a complicated and small pattern.
3. When the pattern is ready, prepare the wax. Batik artists use small stove and pan to liquify the wax.
4. Apply liquid wax on the surface of the fabric based on the pattern. To apply wax, traditional batik artists use a tool named "Canting".
5. When the waxing is done, it's time to colour the open surface. To colour it, sink the fabric in the dye solution.
6. Boil the mixture for some hours and take the filtrate. Using natural dye makes colouring process usually takes more time.
7. This waxing and colouring process will be carried out once for one colour. So if a fabric has many colours, this process repeated as much as the colours.
Many people are still asking "why handmade batik is costly?" Batik tulis (hand-drawn batik) has colors and motifs that are never the same, they’re always different. The long process and journey to make one batik fabric takes great patience, competence and years of experience.
The whole process of making batik tulis is complex and time-consuming. The more intricate the pattern and the more colors desired, the longer the process takes.